The letter “O” is the 15th letter of the alphabet. It is a consonant, which means it makes a sound when you say it. The long sound of “O” is like that in “go.” It’s short as in “dog” and “hot.” Oman is the only country that starts with O.
What Country Starts With “O”?
Oman is a country located in the southeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula on the Arabian Sea. Oman is a small country with a population of 3.5 million people. The capital city of Oman is Muscat, founded in 1449 and continuously inhabited since that time. There are many different languages spoken in Oman, but Arabic is the most important language.
Other Region Names that Start with “O”
- Oceania: There are four geographic regions that make up Oceania: Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia. Oceania is estimated to have a total area of 8,525,989 square kilometers and a population of approximately 44.5 million as of 2021.
- Okinawa: The East China Sea is home to the Japanese island of Okinawa. The Ryukyu Kingdom’s rebuilt palace is located in Naha city’s Shuri Castle. It features the ornate gate of Shureimon, one of several Ryukyuan fortresses from the Gusuku period remaining on Okinawa. The Okinawa Prefectural Museum has exhibits on Okinawa’s natural and cultural heritage as well as a collection of fine art.
- Oklahoma: The state of Oklahoma is located in the South Central Region of the United States (US Policy System) and is bordered by Texas to the south and west, Kansas to the north, Missouri to the northeast, Arkansas to the east, New Mexico to the west, and Colorado to the northwest. You can also read about USA’s history here…
- Ohio: Known as Buckeye State, Birthplace of Aviation, and Heart of It All, Ohio is a unique state. A few of the most popular attractions in Ohio include Cedar Point, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Hocking Hills is a great place to spend a day in nature. Superman, the phonograph, gas-powered automobiles, golf balls, and the phonograph are Ohio’s defining inventions.
About Oman, The Only Country that Start with O
Oman is a country located in the Middle East with a rich history, bordering the Arabian Sea and Gulf of Oman. The name Oman believed to have come from the name of the tribe who settled in Oman. From 2000 BC on, Oman was a significant trading center.
Before being taken over by Arabs between 673 and 676 A.D., when Mohammed sent his brother-in-law Ali bin Abi Talib on an expedition against them, it was a part of Greece for seven centuries. After that, it became part of Islam when Mohammed sent his brother-in-law on an expedition against them.
Vasco da Gama led a fleet of Portuguese colonizers to Muscat in 1508, where local tribesmen faced stiff resistance from their desire to resist conversion or conquest. Following their failure in their quest for riches and glory, they returned to Lisbon with only one survivor and a few trade goods they obtained through extortion tactics. This included killing anyone who refused to renounce their wealth voluntarily after being threatened with death if they refused!
The Country that Starts with O: Oman Name
As early as the 18th century, the Omani Empire stretched from Oman along the east coast of Africa to the Mediterranean Sea. The Sultanate of Muscat and Oman renamed simply Oman by Sultan Qaboos bin Said in 1970.
5 Fun Facts about Oman
- Mountain Dew – The alcohol of Oman
The average Omani’s love for Mountain Dew knows no bounds. They are willing to do anything for this carbonated beverage, and this drink enjoys a monopolised market where there is no competition. Since the introduction of Mountain Dew in Oman, it is one of the few drinks that have the highest consumption rate in all Middle Eastern countries.
- An Inexistent Crime Rate
Oman is a safe country to visit because of this fact. Several countries have fluctuating crime rates, but the Omani people boast a virtually crime-free environment.
- Hotels with a lot of charm
There used to be nothing more than simple shacks on the coastline of Oman before the built of luxury hotels. The situation was the same before 1970. Because of this massive wave of modernization, Oman’s hotel industry among other sectors revolutionized and reached its zenith.
An Ever-Increasing Literacy Rate
In Omani statistics, literacy rates are often included as a statistic. Compared to 2003, the rate is now 93.04%, up from an impressive 81.36% in 2003. A whopping 94.12% of students enroll in Oman’s universities, making it a land of well-educated people.
- There is a Ban on Honking
Omanis are not allowed to honk in any public or private setting unless it is absolutely necessary. The streets of Oman are free of excessively loud honking.
The Only Country that Starts with O: Traditions
Traditions in Oman (the only country that starts with O) are based on the Islamic religion. They celebrate Eid Al Adha and Eid Al Fitr, which are two important Islamic festivals. Ramadan is another major celebration that takes place during the ninth month of their lunar calendar each year. During this time, Muslims refrain from eating or drinking water from sunrise to sunset as a way to show gratitude for God’s blessings and practice self-discipline for 30 days prior to the holiday of Eid Al Fitr at the end of Ramadan.
The Mawlid an Nabi (Birthday of the Prophet) also occurs during Ramadan every year; it commemorates Muhammad’s birthday on December 25th (in Gregorian calendar).
Country names that end with “O”
Unline Oman, which is the inly country that starts with O. There are 10 countries that end with this letter. A list of countries that end with “O”: For your convenience, we have listed over 10 countries below. These countries, ending with O, have been verified for authenticity using recognized sources.
- Republic of the Congo
- San Marino
- Trinidad and Tobago
We hope that this article by Edge of the Globe facts helped you learn more about the countries that start with “O” and those who end with it. You can also learn more about countries that start with “Q” by visiting it and seeing the amazing thing we made.